Tamara Pow is a founding partner of Strategy Law, LLP. Her practice focuses on the needs of business owners and real estate investors. She provides legal advice for various business transactions, including negotiating contracts, limiting liability, company-side employment matters and tax planning. Tamara has extensive experience with the formation and representation of corporations, LLCs, LLPs, general partnerships and limited partnerships. She also handles 1031 exchange tax planning and other real estate matters, including purchase and sale agreements, due diligence reviews and leases.
If you have to hire a lawyer, Tamara recommends that you select one that protects you, helps you grow your business, and reduces your legal risks of exposure to lawsuits through proactive advice. Her goal is to support the growth of your business so that you can focus on running your business by delegating the legal tasks. You can feel secure knowing that you have someone to call when legal issues or questions arise in the future. If she cannot handle it, Tamara has the resources to help you find a solution by referring you to the right person, either at Strategy Law, LLP or elsewhere if appropriate.
Benefits of Working with Tamara
- Tamara is one of an elite class of California business attorneys that holds both an MBA and a California Real Estate Broker license (License # 1860035).
- Tamara has experience assisting many hundreds of businesses with their legal needs, and she is an experienced business owner through the start-up and operational phases.
- As well as having a California Real Estate Broker license, Tamara has experience making personal investments in commercial, office, multi-family and residential real estate.
- Tamara has also invested in several LLCs, LLPs and several privately held corporations, so she can give you the hands-on advice you need, rather than the text-book theory.
- Tamara’s past experience as a Tax Consultant at Price Waterhouse enables her to spot tax issues for your business and work efficiently with your accountant for optimal tax benefits.
- She consistently helps her clients avoid liabilities in their business structures and agreements so that they can operate with confidence and sleep better at night.
- Tamara will help you find solutions that work for your business, instead of telling you what you cannot do.
- You tell Tamara what your goals are, and she will focus on finding a way to get you there.
- Tamara will keep in touch with you by sending you newsletters and periodic legal information that may be of interest to you.
- You will have paralegals and other attorneys available to assist you as needed.
- If a lawsuit is threatened or filed against you or your company, Tamara will connect you with an experienced litigator.
- As a client, you are encouraged to come to Tamara with any question or concern you may have while you are a client. If your question or concern is outside of our firm’s area of expertise, Tamara will help you find the appropriate attorney or other professional.
Tamara founded Strategy Law, LLP in San Jose in 2014. Previously, she founded Structure Law Group, LLP in San Jose in 2005 and grew it from a two person law firm to a seven attorney firm. Prior to that, Tamara was an attorney in the Hopkins & Carley Corporate Advice & Transactions Department and the leader of the firm’s Tax Practice Group in San Jose. Before practicing law, she was a tax consultant at San Jose-based Price Waterhouse LLP, focusing on tax controversies, IRS and FTB audits, business planning issues and both individual and corporate tax returns.
Tamara and her husband live in Cupertino with their three sons, a dog, a cat and four chickens. She enjoys trail running, gardening and visiting local wineries in her spare time.
J.D., University of California at Davis School of Law
M.B.A., Davis Graduate School of Management
Beta Gamma Sigma
Bachelor’s Degree, University of California Los Angeles
Magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Santa Clara County Bar Association, Solo and Small Firms, Taxation, Real Property and Business Law Sections
Former chairperson of the Young Tax Lawyers Section
City of Cupertino Public Safety Commission, 2008-2012
Former Member, Commissioner, 2 years as Vice-Chair, 2 years as Chair
California Real Estate Broker
License No. 01860035 since 2009
Member Since: 1992
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated 5.0 out of 5.0
- AVVO Rating Superb 10.0 out of 10.0
- Tamara was voted one of Silicon Valley’s Top 40 Under 40 in 2008, in the Silicon Valley Business Journal’s Annual Top 40 Under 40 edition. Tamara was featured in the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal as one of the “40 rising stars in the valley.”
Publications & Presentations
- 2013: After the Term Sheet: Top Ten Items in Loan Documents That You Don’t Want to Ignore
- 2011: Understanding California Business Entities
- 2011: Smart Women Finish Rich
- 2010: Smart Women Finish Rich
- 2010: Understanding California Corporate Entities – California Corporations, LLCs and Partnerships
- 2009: Understanding Business Entities in California
- 2008: Tenants in Common and other Methods of Holding Title in California
- 2007: California LLCs
- 1999: Stock Redemptions
- 1998: Stock Options, Corporate Considerations and income Taxation
- Business Transactions
- Limited Liability Companies
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate
* AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.